Areas

Sights

Baschetzis’ residence, Old Town of Xanthi

The building was built in 1880 by Constantine Bahtsetzis who was a gardener in profession and husband of the daughter of Thomas Kougioumtzoglou. The building was built on the land ruled by the heirs of Kougioumtzoglou family a land which wa...

... more
Nikolaos Adamidis’ residence, Old Town of Xanthi

Built in the decade of 1890 - 1900, by the tobacco broker Nicholas Adamidis. Architectural description: A two-storey building, with stonework ,and plenty of architectural and decorative elements,on the borderline between neoclassical and e...

... more
Metropolis’ Cathedral, Old Town of Xanthi

The building was built during the Ottoman Empire in the period of 1870 - 1890, by workers of Epirus and was donated, to the Greek Community of Xanthi. Probably, later, it becomes property of the local church by donation. Architectural desc...

... more
Church of John the Baptist, Old Town of Xanthi

The Holy Cathedral of St. John the Baptist was built around 1839, by workers of Epirus, when bishop was Eugene. During this period, the reform decree of Sultan, the Hatt-i Serif, gave privileges to all, non-Muslim communities of the Ottoman...

... more
Metropolitan Hall , Old Town of Xanthi

The Bishop's Palace was built, in 1897, at the request of Bishop Joachim Sgouros, in the elders of the city, in 1892, to house the services of the Bishop Church of Xanthi and Peritheorio but it also served as living space, of each Bishop. ...

... more
Straits Entrance, Nestos

The entrance of Stena Nestos after a course of 243 kilometers from Rila Mountains in Southern Bulgaria and then through Rodopi ,covering 130 kilometers of the Greek territory , arrives near the end of his route , which is the point slight...

... more
Ancient harbor, Abdera

Today, there are obvious identified traces in one of the five ancient, port structures. In the southwestern ancient port of the city of Abdera, the eastern breakwater is mainly preserved. The breakwater automatically protects the port, from...

... more
Fortification yard, Abdera

Here is a part of the fortification of Polystylon which was visible before the excavation of the 12th Inspectorate of Byzantine Antiquities. During 1983, much of the fortification was revealed , in length of about 130 metres. The main volum...

... more